Whitney Houston was a major vocal talent in her day. I was never a big fan but I must say her rendition the National Anthem was very, very well done mostly to a LACK of vocal emmbelleshments. (sp?) So many singers in that genre go way overboard for my taste.

Re: the drug comments.

This is to the group, but mostly to Fran.

Our daughter was kidnapped when she was 8 years old and held in a farmhouse in SW Pennsylvania for five weeks until we got her back. Years of therapy, counseling, support, etc. couldn't return her to the happy, well adjusted little girl she was prior to her abduction. Since then its been a steady stream of drugs, crime, promiscuity, multiple suicide attempts, etc. It has been hell...

More than one mental health professional has counseled my wife and I to prepare for her death at some point. Her odds of surviving were miniscuel at best we were told.

However, about 2 years ago she started to clean up. She's off the heroin and has been in a rehab program for the last 18 months. She drives an hour both ways 7 days a week to get her medicine that satisfies her cravings. She's married, she has a beautiful little boy and a little girl is due in July. She and her husband live are living with us for now to help them transition into a place of their own come next Fall. From everything we've seen, she's a good mom. Determined to move forward, not backwards for the sake of herself and her family.

Not too bad for a kid we were told over and over again would be dead by now.

If you're me, how exactly do you consider this human a "loser" for her involvement with drugs?

I can't think of anything in my entire life that begins to compare to the struggles she's overcoming. I just can't.

You and me aren't kids anymore. We've been around the block, eh?

You should know better, my friend.

Edited by Bill in Dayton (02/23/12 04:19 AM)