Scottyee,

If you are using a mixing board you could try and turn the volume levels down on your output. I know I've had to do that with my keyboard. Also, depending on the mixing board you could set the outputs to mic level, I know the Mackie boards have this feature. And yes you do have manual control over the input level so you can turn the volume level down on both the source and the H4n. Thus far I've not used it in that setup. Haven't played around with all the effects and track bouncing, but so far the recordings that I've done have sounded good. Plus I can connect to my computer and use it as a USB audio device. Also keep in mind that with most places you have a certain amount of time to be able to return the unit if it's not what you really want.

IMO, I think most all of these new portable recorders will provide a person with good recordings. Where they begin to separate is in the additional features (4 track recording, types of effects, on board editing, etc). I'm trying to finish up moving from my old house and found my original Fostex X-15 4-track cassette recorder and just stood there in amazement at how far technology has come.

Good luck with whatever device you decide on.

Joe