Scottyee, not trying to over step into this thread, but I've got the Zoom H4N so I can offer some perspective on it. I personally like it. Couple of things to consider; 1) when you run line level into the unit you will need to pad the level down. For some reason Zoom appears to have made the auto sensing line level input on the Combo Jack more for guitar rather than line level from a mixing board. There's more info on the internet about this issue. 2) you can only record 4 tracks at once in the 4 track mode and there are no effects available. Not a big issue for me since I plug my Roland VA5 into the unit and then sing into the Zoom's built in mics. 3) in multi track mode you can only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and this is where the effects are located.

I know that several people that are using DSLR cameras to shoot with have turned to the H4n as a separate stand alone recording device. Also remember that with a unit like this, no matter the brand, there will be a lot in the menu system that you will have to dig through.

Since downsizing quite a bit at my house, I replaced a lot of gear with the H4n for practicing and simple recording. I've also used it to record live performances as well as podcasts. It's nice to plug two external mics into it and have 4 channels for post editing.

I was really interested in the new Roland unit, but I just couldn't find enough justification to spend an extra $200 or so dollars.

Joe