Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

Why you need to do DJ to those dancers when you can play like that beats me...,

Tony, let me interject here to say that nowadays very few arrangers players can (or want to) do a whole gig on arranger alone. Most resort to their own or commercial SMF and/or MP3 along with the arranger stuff. It takes a lot of very hard work (and planning) making an evening played solely on an arranger to be both danceable and entertaining.

But, it is possible.

There are several arranger players in my area, and only two of us still play the entire gig solely with the arranger keyboard, and we still manage to get asked back and/or get other equally lucrative gigs because of our performances.

And of course, we have Deane (Hammer) who is a SZ member who plays arranger (a Tyros4, I believe) for the entire gig...there may be a few more....I think Gary Diamond does, most, if not all, his gigs entirely with the arranger (in arranger mode). I believe Scott Yee and Scott Langholff do as well.

But, as has been said many times here on SZ...you use what you need to get the job done....that's the most important part, I suppose...and, it may depend on the type of gig, audience age, etc.

Are you thinking of getting one of these great little Korg microArrangers?

Ian