I have the same problem as Keith (btw, we both got our XD3s from the same store at the same time... )
I too would like to install an hard disk; the XD3 manual says "ATA IDE 2.5, 6 Gbyte max". I assume it's a laptop kind of hard disk, since other keyboards, like the Yamaha 9000, use these kind of HD, which offer a better protection to the heads.
I don't care much about warranty; I know that I could order the HD from Ketron, but it's really expensive, since it comes loaded with styles (which I really don't need). Besides, I hate the idea of taking the XD3 to a repair center, leaving it there for maybe a week and then taking it back and finding maybe a scratch or two on the case...
So what I am asking is: can I purchase a laptop HD which fits the above specifications and install it myself (like I have always done with all my PCs) or do I need a special kit that only Ketron can provide? (like IDE flat cables and stuff like that?)
Thanks