Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Ian and DNJ: an important point I'd like to make when relying on the 'transpose button' to transpose more than 3 semi tones (> minor 3rd) away from the key you're actually playing in, is that it can dramatically alter (often negatively) the sound of your chords played & heard live), because when a chord played is voiced for the lower part of the keyboard, when transposed up/down too far, it can sound terrible eek , and the reason keyboard players typically play different chord voicings dependent on the key of a song,or the keyboard octave range the chords are being played. How a chord sounds has a lot to do with the harmonic overtone series, but that's another story. smile

Hi Scott,

Good points.

I rarely use a left hand voice when in arranger mode...sometimes I might use a strings or organ voice, and no matter what key I'm in, I usually end up playing rootless voicings...probably from all those years of playing Hammond and Electone organs, especially when using bass pedals.

As far as the transposer...I'm a very lazy guy...my technique is pretty good, and I play often enough in different keys to keep sharp. But, ultimately, I'm lazy, and I like playing in certain keys, especially for soloing, so I use the transposer quite a bit.

The "keyboard capo" I call it. wink

One of the best features ever added, in my opinion.

Ian the Indolent