Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I guess I should have clarified my post a bit. What I want to hear when someone offers a comparison is a very-similar style playing the same songs on two different keyboards. For example, how about the song "Until It's Time For Me To Go" by Neil Diamond/Elvis Presley. Select a great waltz style on the G-70 and another on the PA800. Set the EQ's of both keyboards to flat, use the same right hand voices, same tempo, same volume, same everything. Play the songs the same, exact way, using the same fingering technique, etc.. This allows everyone to compare the two keyboards sound engines, individual sound qualities, etc.. What would be so difficult about that.

I thought the original purpose of the post was to demonstrate which keyboard sounded best while playing the same song.Then I quickly discovered I was listening to a GM file, which will always sound best on the keyboard which it was created upon. This essentially tells me nothing about the keyboard's sound engine and what it is capable of providing. I don't know about anyone else on this forum, but I personally, WOULD NOT purchase a keyboard based upon what I heard from a MIDI file. I have, however, purchased several keyboards based upon what I heard from the onboard styles and right-hand voices, mainly because that tells me what it will sound like in MY hands as well.

When Fran made his original post he stated the song was recorded on the G-70 and PA800. In reality, this appears not to be the case. The song was, obviously, a MIDI file that someone else had created as a GM file and played through both keyboards. From MY viewpoint, because of reasons stated earlier, that's not comparing apples to apples. That's why I would like Fran to play the song LIVE. He apparently has both keyboards sitting in his domicile, therefore it should be a piece of cake for him to do this.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Well said, Gary.

I like your idea as below...

Fran "select a style on the G-70 and another on the PA800. Set the EQ's of both keyboards to flat, use the same right hand voices, same tempo, same volume, same everything. Play the songs the same, exact way, using the same fingering technique, etc.. This allows everyone to compare the two keyboards sound engines, individual sound qualities, etc.. What would be so difficult about that?."

I believe what would be so difficult about that is Fran does most, if not all his songs, over an SMF. Asking him to use "style play" would be beyond what he is used to doing, so I can understand why he is so reticent about making the recording,

It's too bad, because Fran is considered a good player and singer...he has nothing to hide behind. I can't imagine he's refusing because it won't sound good, or he's afraid of being criticized. No one here, that I know, would be unfair to Fran.

I would have enjoyed hearing his style play performances immensely, and I am sure many other SZ'ers would as well.

Plus, we'd hear how these instruments sound in a more natural and realistic situation...very important.

Ian