Originally Posted By: Nigel

I'm a little puzzled Ian. Disregarding what you are playing with the right hand if you chord a style with the left hand, how is that going to sound different from someone else chording it the same way? I don't see why it would.

And the reason for not having 500 SMFs instead of styles is that SMFs don't respond dynamically to realtime chording like styles do ... you already know that.

Nigel, I suspect that my chord voicings would be (and can be) quite different from Fran's...in fact, much different...that's why we wouldn't sound the same. Plus, we would use fills differently, even endings and intros (which I often re-use throughout a tune)...we both have developed our own technique from so many years playing.

Also, if Fran was using a Roland, and I, a Yamaha, the former does not support rootless voicings...also one of the reasons many jazz players find Roland arrangers lacking...it's fine for most players.

There would be a difference. Trust me.

Ian