Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

For most people, an arranger is not a work tool...it is a hobby.

Let's say, after the initial cost of his first arranger, Joe Blow buys a new arranger every year, and it costs him $1000 (probably less) in the difference...that's $83 and change a month, and about $20 per week.

Not bad for being able to enjoy a great hobby, and to also have the latest instrument to play.

I'd say golf would be more costly...heck, even fishing could be more money.

Ian

Being a golfer and a fisherman, I can readily attest to that!
However, as great as the T4 sounds, there are still sounds and styles on the old long-in-the-tooth Rolands that are better or just as well-suited to certain songs and genres--especially the drums. IN MY OPINION of course, and Diki's as well I suppose, since he has one.
I have always bought what I consider will make me sound the best, without compromising operating features and ease of transportation. And, entertaining being my occupation, cost is not a factor (it's a matter of priorities).

You have to decide what suits YOU and your style and your needs, then go for it. I think it's fun anticipating what's next, like waiting to open Christmas presents is for little kids.
DonM

Hi Don,

Most people who are into playing arrangers for a hobby, and, more accurately, for pure personal entertainment consider it a reasonably priced pursuit. Most of my clients are home players, and most like to change up every few years.

Why? Simply, in most cases, it is because they can.

Just like fisherman getting the latest gear, or golfers buying the hottest driver, they simply want the best that's out there...is it a money making decision? Well, maybe with golf if you're a pro, but, in the other cases, it isn't a critical career choice...it is simply a personal one.

I'm not sure if you said you've played a Tyros4, Don...I'm thinking you haven't.

I can tell you I got a surprise, and, it's not often that happens, as I'm a bit jaded after a lot of years on these things.

It's a long time since I sat down and played well into the night purely for playing pleasure...sort of like the taxi driver who doesn't want to be near a car on his days off, I played usually with a purpose, and usually related to work.

The Tyros4 had me hooked almost immediately.

I'll be very interested in your impressions of the Tyros4, Don.

Yes, there are sounds and styles on the "long in the tooth Rolands" (and Ketron too) that suit certain things best...but, this Tyros covers more genres better than any Tyros before...really! I know you are into guitar emulations (and pretty damn good at them you are)...the guitars and the Country styles on the Tyros4 are pretty impressive...the guitars especially.

"Finger Amp"(two pickup solid body played finger picking), "Semi Acoustic", and "Single Coil Clean" are some of the SA sounds you just have to try, Don. Yes, technique is a big part of guitar emulation, but with sounds like these, you just might have a bunch of pickers looking at you as major competition.

I find the new drum kits are excellent, and the older CD quality sound is still there, but, it has a much beefier sound than before...the Tyros3 had the beefier sound, but seemed to lose the sweetness...the Tyros4 lacks neither.

So, I hope to hear your feelings about the instrument after you've had a good play, and hopefully in the near future; and, maybe this Tyros will be "the one" for you...I do know, it is for me. smile

Ian

Look chaps,

I am not going to lock horns with anyone on SZ about new cars or Kbs, what I hear when someone who can play, plays the T4 is different than what I have heard on any other KB played, perhaps Ians ears and mine are different, perhaps it's not our ears at all but our brains which are different, our receptors hey. But something else kicks in, how many G70, Audya, MS, (Wersi,ha,ha)have been sold WW compared to the T range, don't even try, Yamaha have something the others don't have, metal or plastic it don't mean a ting. Yamaha have the ability to make, market and sell KBs in big numbers and that is the truth, if someone can find the numbers sold can we have it.

Edited by Tony Hughes (02/21/11 11:16 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey