Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Diki
Ian, my G70 doesn't provide me with inspiration and creativity. I consider it MY job to provide that for myself.

Those 3am sessions come because I have a musical idea I want to try out, not that my arranger has a style or sound I want to jam on. You can only do that until familiarity tires you of the novelty. And, by reading much on this forum, that's usually no more than a year...

Of course it's YOUR job.

That's why you are a musician.

The novelty factor varies greatly...for some it's a year, for others it's two...and then there are those who are forced to keep their current arranger because they really can't afford a new one, even though they'd love to be using the latest and greatest, and some might say, the best sounding instruments.

Why is it so important to you how long someone else keeps an arranger, or how much money they spend?

Isn't that an individual preference based on many factors, only one of which is cost?

Certainly, one hopes they need not justify buying an arranger out of sync with what time cycle you think it should be?

For most people, an arranger is not a work tool...it is a hobby.

Let's say, after the initial cost of his first arranger, Joe Blow buys a new arranger every year, and it costs him $1000 (probably less) in the difference...that's $83 and change a month, and about $20 per week.

Not bad for being able to enjoy a great hobby, and to also have the latest instrument to play.

I'd say golf would be more costly...heck, even fishing could be more money.

Ian

Being a golfer and a fisherman, I can readily attest to that!
However, as great as the T4 sounds, there are still sounds and styles on the old long-in-the-tooth Rolands that are better or just as well-suited to certain songs and genres--especially the drums. IN MY OPINION of course, and Diki's as well I suppose, since he has one.
I have always bought what I consider will make me sound the best, without compromising operating features and ease of transportation. And, entertaining being my occupation, cost is not a factor (it's a matter of priorities).
Right now there are so many great choices that I wish I could have Audya, T4, BK7m, Korg PA3X all in the stable, probably in that order. However I have come to realize that I can please audiences with any of them, and it doesn't matter a hill of beans to them. They want music they can recognize, dance to, sing along with and to which they can enjoy listening.
So, again, it's great to have so many choices. Lately I've been entertaining them with the lowly Roland E50 and the next step will most likely be trying the BK7m. If I run across a killer deal on a T4 who knows, and I almost certainly will always have a Ketron in the arsenal, just in case I want to sound like a REALLY live band. I'm waiting on AJ to finish his latest project. He says it will knock your socks off even farther from your feet than the current Audya.
You have to decide what suits YOU and your style and your needs, then go for it. I think it's fun anticipating what's next, like waiting to open Christmas presents is for little kids.
DonM