Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Yes, there may be 'degrees' of wrongdoings, but does that make any of them RIGHT?!?!? ...

Quote:
morals are what we believe in and how we conduct ourselves, and language is merely the means of articulating what those beliefs are.

And what does 'articulating' the f-word tell us about our moral beliefs???

I have said many, many times that I realize that I'm 'old' and my beliefs are often considered 'old-fashioned', but I still don't see the value of kids walking around using the f-word whenever they want because they are given the impression that it's ok ...

I absolutely agree with you, Tony, no value can be assigned to kids walking around using the F-word willy-nilly (hope the first part of that isn't offensive :)), but in many cases they do and that's just the way it is. Whether that's okay or not is irrelevant, really. I don't like to hear it myself, and it indicates a lack of vocabulary (I won't go into the reasons for that here), but there are many people who don't find bad language bothersome at all. And anyway, language usage and idiom, like spelling, is a moving entity. Some of the great works in English literature written hundreds of years ago liberally include the F-word and, without doubt, the circle will continue in perpetuity.