Originally Posted By: Diki
You might need to be a bit specific when you say 'groove', Ian. I got a feeling you are referring to how much 'swing %' there is in the style, whereas I think Al is more just referring to the drummer's 'pocket'.

Mind you, up until now, I hadn't even heard there was a feature on Tyros4 about changing a pattern's swing value? How well does that work, and how well does it deal with notes INSIDE the swing value?

I always missed that old 'Swing %' knob they used to have on much older arrangers and drum machines. Mind you, back then, the patterns were SO much simpler, and changing the timebase of the clock was all that was needed!

Got any examples of something going from a straight 8 style to a swung 8 style (even if it is just moving it a BIT) to compare?

Yes, the Groove function in Style Creator is actually old news Diki...it's been around since at least the PSR-8000.

It works as you described, although the "swung" style must be saved as a custom style...you can't use Groove in a "live" situation .

It also works in reverse, taking a Swing 8 beat and changing it to a straight 8.

It works on each part of the style (Variations/fills/Intros/Ending) with several different values for each part, or all parts of the style.

I use it very often, not just for swinging a straight style, but also to "fit" parts of a swung style to a straight style so it is all straight, or all swung, if you get my drift?

Not a lot of people seem to understand or use the Groove/Dynamics of Style Creator, although all my clients get a course in how to use it, and do very well indeed.

I'll see if I can put together some examples...I am a bit stretched at the moment preparing for a clinic tomorrow....(did a quick one today)...Maybe I'll pop one off on the S910 if it will be quicker.

If the Audya has a swing/groove function similar to what you describe, and what has been on the Yammies for years, but using it's audio drums, that would be pretty cool.

Ian

PS...I'd be surprised if Korg doesn't have a similar feature to Yamaha's regarding the Groove function.