Quote:
Originally posted by OldSchool:
Sjonesmusic:
It's refreshing that somebody with chops has wandered in and sat down. Nice last name, by the way (yeah, I'm a Jones too, though, as you know, that's not terribly remarkable). As a great fan of the lions of 70's fusion guitar, I really like your stuff in that vein. I'm afraid there isn't much to compare that to these days - even the newer stuff of the old guys. Paul Scofield is on stage Saturday . . . haven't heard him in awhile.

I really like the harmonic approach of your orchestral pieces, and the string quartet is quite nice . . . somebody's been listening to Ravel and Debussy!

You might give us a hint as to what you're doing your sequences with, and through . . . Saw the Korg reference and the "real instrument" credits, but curious about the rest!

Hey man...thanks so much...

Did you mean John Scofield? He;'s one of my biggest influences from that genre...

Yeah, the string quartet I wrote was intentionally in the Debussy and Ravel harmonic environment...I needed to write a piece that was both colorful, yet accessible, as it was performed within one of our church services, so those guys have the sound for that sort of thing...I just wrote from that angle, and it seemed pretty successful...

As far as the sequencing/programming process on the fusion tunes goes...

I sequenced every note from scratch on all of the instruments except guitar...

It was all done in the old notation software, Encore...

Think of it this way:

It's like having a blank piece of staff paper, writing it all out note for note, then handing it to musicians who then play it back...

In this case, after writing the notes, the musicians were my computer and keyboard rig...

No auto-comping or auto-rhythm section, or pre-recorded tracks, loops or fills were used...

I then (in this case, 6 years later) I added all the guitar parts and solos, mainly because I now have the multi-track recording technology to do it, because I was looking for something to do, and had the time...and now, quite by accident, someone with connections turned Holdsworth's label onto this project, and they've been quite enthusiastic about supporting it...

Anyway...

My keyboard modules for all sounds are the Roland JV-30, enhanced with the Roland D-550, and the occasional Korg Karma...

My guitar sounds were mainly the POD and the Vetta on a few...played on an Ibanez FGM Sabre...

The acoustic on "S'Corea" was my Taylor steel string...

I did use a Chet Atkins nylon on "Tito's Time"...

Since the release through Holdsworth's label is forthcoming, I've gone back to the tracks once again, and added some more guitar, and invited a long time friend and brilliant sax player to play on a few cuts...

The planetarium soundtrack piece you referred to, was performed entirely on my Karma, with no sequencing...

The other sequenced orchestral pieces on my site, were done in the same way as the fusion tunes, but with an orchestral approach...

The instrumentals of hymns...on my site were all recorded during performance with the band I lead at my church...they're all freak players and I've been beyond blessed to work with them and write for them for the past decade...

I really do appreciate that you've taken the time to visit my site and listen to my music, it's been my dream for some time to share it with the rest of the world...

Thanks,

Scott
www.scottjonesmusic.com