Hi Diki
From a studio standpoint I understand where you are coming from, however it’s rare for keyboard players to go for the latest and greatest (VSTI or Hardware) until they are sure all the bugs have been removed, consequently when they do upgrade the hardware has caught up with the VSTi they wish to use. (Live Play and Studio use are 2 different kettles of fish)

In addition VSTi manufactures as well as making them more powerful, are also making them more efficient so that anybody can use them without having upgrade to the latest and greatest computer. (If the user doesn’t have to buy a new computer, he will probably buy the new VSTi instead, thus making the manufacture more profit)

As an example, Pianoteq uses sound modelling which theoretically should really task the CPU, (Early versions did) but I have used the latest version on a 3 GHZ P4 with 2 GB Ram with a combination of styles, sequences and manuals simultaneously, (As well as adding in OAS and Kontakt 4 sounds to the mix) with no problems at all.

If you also look at the optimum computer specification requirements of the VSTi you mention, you will find it is way below what the latest and greatest computer systems use. (If you want the best performance go for a gaming machine (Although you can cut back on the graphics card) and then set it up for music)

As you can see from the above, while you could run into problems in the studio (Hence a lot of the big studios network there computers to spread the load) it’s unlikely in live play. (Would you go to a gig if you hadn’t fully tested it would work without problems)

Bill