Bill, you might be able to run the OS on those older CPU's powering those older Wersi's, but have you honestly tried to run any of the new power hungry VSTi's on those older CPU's?

Every generation of new chips engenders a new generation of VSTis that leverage that power. Without upping your CPU on a fairly regular (3 years or so) basis, you find a large amount of the latest, greatest VSTi's unable to run on your so-called 'future-proofed' arranger.

From doing this on regular computers for 15 years or more, I feel I am in a fair position to comment on this. My slightly aging tower can get pulled to its knees by some of the most modern VST's, and slower throughput architecture can make some of the latest, high bandwidth streaming libraries tough to make work on older MOBO's. If all you throw at it is B4 and a few lightweight VSTi's, then perhaps it is easy to think that you ARE future-proofed. But start to stack up Arturia synth models and things like that, and things get a lot more difficult.

For example, I can name few studio producers that run VSTi suites that don't change out their entire computer every two or three years or so, JUST to be able to run the latest, greatest without bringing the old one to its knees. Some carry on without the change, but they have to give up on many modern VSTi's, or accept VERY low polyphony counts and drop-outs.

If you aren't banging into a hardware ceiling, you just aren't pushing that thing hard enough!