I own RealStrat and RealGuitar, while they sound great, and work good in a mix - they do not sound like a real guitarist playing a real guitar. I also own GuitarRig, that is only effect and amp modelling - and again the models sound good, and work great in studio mixes - the models do not sound like their hardware counterparts. I have yet to try, hear and play any modelling software or hardware that sounds like a true vintage tube amp, or a vintage Tube Screamer for that matter. Even the new fancy "Reissue" tube amps do not sound like their grandfathers.

I'm not saying that all of these sound bad, I'm saying they don't sound or feel authentic. That being said, very few have the economic privilege to own every classic amp from a Champ and Plexi to JC-120, so in value things like GuitarRig and PODs hold their own, because they do sound good. It's just not the same as flicking a switch and watch those filaments warm up and crank the thing to 11 and hear those EL's, KT's or 6L's roar. Or incase you own a JCM800 100W the screams of your neighbours begging for their sanity.

DocZ

Edited by doc-z (01/13/11 06:16 PM)