Hi Rikki,many thanks for the info. I have already found some free Soundfonts,I am sure there's more around...
I did not try Synthfont,but I tried SFZ,and it works really well. However,it loads in OMB and it sends/receives MIDI,but I hear no sounds,probably because there is nothing loaded in SFZ. I am still trying out the OMB demo so I need to figure out more,it may be that it works well with SFZ.
OMB works great with Edirol Hypercanvas too,as you mentioned.
I will still need to figure out all these differencies between XG and GM,I know the main ones,but as I am just starting on the 'arranger path' I still don't know a few things. ( been using Cubase for years and I am tired of programs like that).
This is really a very cool forum though...I am sure I can learn a lot from it. Thanks for mentioning the fact that soundfonts need to be tweaked to be used correctly with the PSR styles...frankly I think that would be too time consuming,as I have more urge in making the music,so in that case I won't use Soundfont if I am using OMB or PSR styles

Now that you mentioned this relevant fact about GM modules playing back with not the exact instruments for the PSR /Yamaha styles (therefore requiring tweaks) ...do you know of a good XG softsynth instead? Something like Edirol Hypercanvas ,quality-wise,but XG instead of GM. Thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by santantoni (edited 01-23-2007).]