Ouch! I didn't realize the bitrate of digital audio recording on the Tyros2 was only about 1.4 Mb/s.

Scott, since you had the Hitachi 7200RPM Drive I assume you installed it in your Tyro2 before switching it out to the Samsung drive. As a comparison did you notice any difference at all with the Drives? The delay in switching screen menus on the Tyros2 as Simon talked about, was that as noticable with the Hitachi drive as compared to the Samsung drive? Did the noise difference really seem that noticable also?

The Tyros2 is essentially a computer btw. I realize that keyboards are years behind in technology compared to your average Desktop or Laptop computer so the benefit of a faster hard drive in a keyboard, although beneficial is some ways, faster Drives cannot be used to their full advantage because of the bottlenecks in other parts of the Keyboard's system as "The Wolf" pointed out. I didn't realize though that the Tyros2' audio recording function was so drastically limited in transfer rate thus nullifying any tangible gain a faster Hard Drive may give it.

But I am glad Hard Drive Manufacturers are getting back into the game by making faster 2.5" Hard Drives. Eventually I think Keyboards will get to a point where they will indeed take full advantage of the fastest Hard Drives you can throw at them. We may have a bit of a wait though before that happens..

PS: I personally have a 10,000RPM Hard Drive in my Desktop computer at home and it is as quiet as any 7200RPM Drive I've owned. In fact it is actually quieter than a couple of 7200RPM Drives I've owned. Go figure. So depending on the Company and the model of the Drive itself faster does not always mean 'louder' neccesarily.

A few years down the road when the Tyros3 comes out I can imagine even 10,000RPM 2.5" Hard Drives being as quiet as current 5400RPM Drives are now. I can even fathom that the Tyros3 having the processing power of its CPU equivalent to a Pentium4 or the AMD Opteron and a Motherboard that has the same performance and buss speeds as todays Desktop computers.

Now if it only came in 76 keys....

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-15-2005).]