If you want premium speed at a premium price and don't want to settle for less than the best then I would highly recommend the "new" Hitachi 7K60 7200RPM Drive[s]. It is regarded as the fastest 2.5" Drive on the planet. Hitachi also makes the 7K80 (80GB) and the 7K100 (100GB) 7200RPM Drives but you will pay quite a bit more for them over the 60GB Drive.

Here is a link with info and specs on the 60GB Drive:

Hitachi 7K60 2.5" Hard Drive

PS: You may be able to find it for less if you search around.

The new Hitachi 7K Hard Drives are the first 7200RPM Drives to hit the market since 2003.

Btw, Seagate has a new 7200RPM Drive out also but it is not as fast as the new Hitachi Drives and is more for Server type applications. The Seagate does offer better I/O performance than the Travelstar though.

If you do a lot of Audio recording with the Tyros2 and load Samples then the faster the Hard Drive the better. I would even except the Operating System to respond quicker too. If you are not aware, it has been noted that on certain menus the Tyros2 has a noticable delay when switching screens. It is possible with a faster Hard Drive the delay may be reduced significantly. Just a thought.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I wanted to mention that the new Hitachi Drives come in either ATA/100 or Serial ATA. The Tyros2 does NOT support Serial ATA Drives. You will need to get the ATA/100 Drive for the Tyros2. Also be advised that this drive has NOT been officially tested by Yamaha for compatibility with the Tyros2 so it may or may not work. It is however within the "size" (height) range at 9.5mm.

If it doesn't work with the Tyros2 you can simply return it for a refund since all merchandise has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you find it cheaper somewhere else make sure that they also have a 30 day money back guarantee so you will not be out anything if it's not compatible with the Tyros2. Except maybe for shipping costs..

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 11-14-2005).]