Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Hi James, I am just not sure whether you are getting AWM and AWM 2 mixed up...

AWM on tyros line - YES I agree should be a lot better and un compressed!

AWM 2 on Motif line - (complete different ball game)I am VERY happy with this sound quality. you must admit the Motif XS/XF sounds amazing...

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 10-31-2010).]

Hi Nick.

Yamaha compression is not the reason why the Tyros sounds as it does. It's the AWM engine and the Motif has the same issues. If compression was the root cause then the KORG Trinity which ran on 2:1 would not be known as one of the warmest and fattest sounding workstations KORG every built.

The exact same sample loaded into one keyboard can sound very different when loaded into another. The direct cause of all this can be the sound engine even when running at the most basic level.

As a KORG OASYS owner this is so freaking obvious to me that it's silly. Any KORG OASYS user will tell you the exact same thing. The HD-1 sound engine is so good that even KORG's EDS sound engine can sound muddy compared to HD-1.

So the problem is not the samples, and the fact that Yamaha have updated the samples to include better data does not directly hit the heart of the problem. The problem is that the sound system driving them is the same old technology it has always been.

Regards
James.