Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I'm primarily a singer...

I get a lot of compliments on my vocals, but I do hear consistent praise on my kb ability as well.

Usually I do a few instrumentals every set to add to the variety.

Hi Bill

I think you hit the nail on the head. The variety of using, in your case, instrumentals I think is very important and yet overlooked by most. It will make the vocal songs shine better and instrumentals are a pleasant change.

In my case, I don't sing. I have heard all kinds of stuff that you have to sing to make it. Not in my case. I get all kinds of compliments doing instrumental whether solo, or with a singer or band.

Interesting thing that has happened with me, one of the duos that I work with that is primarily ballroom dance work, the singer is as good as any I've heard, and yet I'm getting referals to play gigs without him with people saying I do better alone and I am usually paid what the two of us get together. Go figure. A major surprize for me after all the talk of needing to sing.

Like one of my clients told me, "do what you do well." In my case then, there is no point to try to learn to sing. I really don't have it.