Today, I had to inform another facility that I would no longer be performing for them. It was a difficult decision, but one that had to be made.

I waited until the last moment of the performance to tell the audience, which consisted of about 75 to 85 ladies and gentlemen who were residents at an assisted living facility located in western Baltimore County.

In finished with a rendition of My Way, got a standing ovation from those that were not wheel chair bound, and lots of hugs and kisses from both the staff and residents.

The irony of this, and most performances, is that there were lots of ladies and gentlemen that said "You have a beautiful voice." However, no one, no matter how well you play, ever makes any comments about your playing ability. This has always been the case with me, and a lot of really great players that I know.

I've always worked very hard at perfecting my playing ability, both with the keyboard, and when I was younger, with a 12-string guitar. However, I've always considered myself as a mediocre player at best. My wife, and a few musicians, have told me I play quite well, both with my left and right hand. But most of the time, my voice has become my right hand. Sure, I might provide some right-hand enhancement to the song with various instruments, but overall, it's my vocals that seem to hold the audiences.

At the end of the performance, the AD and some of the other staffers asked to have their picture taken with me. After a half-dozen photos, they asked if I would at least consider doing next year's Christmas party for them, to which I agreed. (It's hard to say no to such wonderful people.)

During the drive home I thought about the comments about my singing. I guess I'm fortunate in that I can still carry a tune fairly well, even at 69 years of age. In my case, my vocal ability, at least from what I can discern, is the most important component of my performances.

The question that comes to mind is how many forum members that perform for a living depend heavily upon their vocal ability?

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)