I'm closer to the Chas way of thinking when it comes to jazz performance.

But, as a result of injuries this year to my left arm, I wouldn't be working if it weren't for an arranger.

My long-time partner and mentor, Tom Johnston always told me: work as often as you can. I never wanted to be a "week-end warrier". Instead, I don't watch sports, drink, chase woment (anymore, at least), do home repair, etc. What I do is use the time I would devote to those activities to play. And to do that, I have to make some concessions. There isn't enough work to just play 50's, 60's B-3. But, there is enough to stay active in that art form, which is what I prefer.

I have become a generalist. While there are tunes, styles and venues I simply won't play,
I happily play at restaurants, taking a back seat to a ham sandwich.

Since my injury, my arranger has kept me working. It's now a tool I need. That being said, I'm working to get better and not need to rely on arrangers as much. If my left hand improves to the extent that I can play instrumental guitar, I'll split my jobs between the two. I have played a few of my B-3 jobs (on a C-1, actually), with a bass player (my oldest son) and drummer (grandson), relying on block chords on my left hand and conventional right hand techniques.

Play what works for you. But PLAY! I'm in my 53rd year of being a 4 night a week plus player.

And, everyday, I'm eternally grateful to be able to do that.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-10-2009).]