Be careful taking Vitamin A in large doses...10,000 IU a day is usually enough for most people...too much Vitamin A can be toxic, especially if you have liver disease.

I take two natural source Halibut Liver Oil capsules every day...each has 5,000 IU of Vitamin A, and 500 IU of Vitamin D...I also take a separate 1000 IU tablet of Vitamin D twice a day.

One of my Martial Arts instructors was (still is, actually) a doctor who believed in an on-going Vitamin regimen to guard against diseases and/or poor health.

This is what I take every day...check with your own doctor before taking any vitamins, as they might interfere with any medications.

Two 1000 mg Vitamin C tablets (time release)...one in morning, one at bedtime.

Two Halibut Liver Oil Capsules...same times as C.

Two 1000 IU Vitamin D...same as above.

One Vitamin E Capsule 400 IU...(D-alpha)...be especially careful with E if you are on blood thinners or blood pressure meds.

One Calcium Magnesium Tablet, that also contains 25 mg Zinc...Zinc is good for the prostate....Calcium is absorbed much better when combined with Magnesium.

One Vitamin B 50-Complex.

I also drink two large glasses of Welch's 100% Pure Grape Juice (the purple stuff) every day...the grape seed extract (Welch's is nearly the only brand that has it) is good for circulation and also the prostate.

Some Vitamins, like A can be toxic...some like E, can interfere with meds, so it's best to consult a doctor familiar with vitamins...a lot of them are not...they get very little training in nutrition.

I learned that my bowel problem was due to the stress, and life style conditions, that occurred whilst looking after my uncle for three years...he had Alzheimer's, and I was the only caregiver.

My doc told me that it was because of my otherwise strong immune system, the Martial Arts training, and, the fact that I didn't smoke or drink, that I was able to survive a very dangerous and life-threatening situation.

So it's my opinion, and my doctor's, that Vitamins supplements are good, and my regimen works for me, but not for everyone...be safe, and consult your doctor first.

By the way, the cost of the vitamins I take works out to about $2.00/day...pretty cheap insurance.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-10-2009).]