Originally posted by: ianmcnll

Quote:
"Perhaps if the S70XS 76'er doesn't catch on, then maybe the keybed will end up in an arranger."

A fully weighted keybed in a 76 key Tyros4?? I wouldn't mind myself, although the action would need to be similar to a Clavinova CVP 309/409 for it to suit me adequately. If it's too heavy it will be a bear to do trumpet runs, string/guitar solo's, etc. OTOH, if the fully weighted action is "just right" I think it would actually sell quite well in my opinion. Too heavy though and Yamaha could be stuck with an under-performer sales wise. Semi-weighted like the Tyros3 has would probably be sufficient for the majority of arranger players most likely. When you add a "fully" weighted keybed you instantly pack on pounds to the overall weight of course and with a lot of people on this forum complaining about anything over 30 lbs., I shudder to think what they would say if it happened to be 40 lb plus. Lighter is better of course but I, for one, would sure be open to a "fully" weighted 76 key Tyros4 if the action was acceptable i.e. not too heavy, even though it happened to weigh upwards of 40 lbs. or even slightly over 40 lbs. 45 lbs. and over though would certainly be a big factor for a lot of arranger players, whom a big segment tend to be older folks i.e. Senior Citizens and older. So yes, for Yamaha to really have a fully weighted SUCCESS and a HUGE seller on their hands, they would probably need to keep the thing under 40 lbs. if at all possible. For a 76 key fully weighted high-end Arranger that is. Hopefully it will be the Tyros"4", although it probably won't be "fully" weighted for the reasons mentioned above. Stranger things have happened of course but I would really be quite shocked if it's actually "fully" weighted. In fact, I'd be really shocked if Yamaha ventured out on a limb to make another 76 key high-end arranger again. Time will tell... I hope it's true.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 06-13-2009).]