Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
At the resort I perform at in cape cod, there is a growing number of older children and teens. They are hoping for more mature songs to be mixed in. They are asking for covers of stuff like the Jonas brothers, high school musical etc.

Mikey,

I feel guilty saying this in a "keyboard" forum, but.....I found it easier to go the DJ route. In the beginning, sure, I kept up with new tunes but I found it to be time-consuming and my energies were better directed toward the entertainment side of it. i.e. coming up with new ideas, games, patter, keeping up with the "kids" world in general.

Of course, the children were pleased because they could hear the original song the way they're used to it. Then there's the standards...Cha-Cha Slide, Macarena, Cotton-Eyed Joe, etc. There's no way on earth I'm going to generate the excitement that the original recording has.

So, I pretty much get around it like this...work harder on the actual entertainment angle (interacting out on the floor with them)....and....to maintain respect (there is none as a DJ), I bring the keyboard and start out with it, but I will ALWAYS seque to the DJ setup most times within 30 minutes.

Makes life a heck of a lot easier for everyone!

Lucky