A guitar patch or mode on any keyboard is NOT there to fool the player... at least the experienced one! I don't believe that's it's purpose whatsoever. But it IS there to fool the inexperienced LISTENER. I don't know about you, but when I play a sax solo, or a flute solo, or any solo of an acoustic instrument, my goal isn't to fool an experienced player or listener. Well, OK, maybe it's a LITTLE bit of a goal, but at least I am realistic enough to realize this is very unlikely to happen!

However, my audience, on the whole, doesn't consist of flute players, sax players and guitarists. It consists of real people, out for a good time. So, the bar is a LOT lower. Let's be honest. Does anyone claim that even the keyboard sounds in their arrangers would fool an experienced ear? Put even our best piano sounds, or Rhodes, or Wurli, or B3 or Clavinet up against the real thing, and it's unlikely that you couldn't tell the difference.

But it fools the audience, especially, as Dennis did here, you play completely idiomatically. And THAT, not fooling the players of the real instrument, is the goal, isn't it? Nobody other than real guitarists honestly give a toss if the fret squeaks are in the right place or not. Just as long as they help give an IMPRESSION of the real thing...

So let's dial back the rhetoric a bit. Nobody with any real ears is ever going to miss this trickery. Except, of course, the people we are actually playing for, and who pay our bills

And that's good enough for me