I HAVE to tell this story. Back in about 1979, shortly after I moved to Shreveport, I had a job for which I needed a bass player.
I didn't want to haul my organ so I was playing guitar. Also had a rhythm guitar/singer and a drummer.
Anyway, I didn't know many people around here at the time, but I did know an aspiring song writer/singer by the name of Kenny Beard. He as still in the Air Force, and since has moved to Nashville also and is very succesfull. Anyway, Kenny gave me a number and said call Joe. So I called "Joe" and he asked how much, when and were, and said he'd be there.
Everything was going pretty well, when about halfway through the job, somebody asked for a song I couldn't play on the guitar. I'm REALLY not a guitar player. I asked the singer if he knew the song and he said yes. I asked Joe, and he said yes. Then something made me ask him if he could play guitar, and he said yes.
Well, we switched between bass and guitar, and all of a sudden notes and chords and sounds started coming from that guitar like never before. Needless to say, I was very content to play bass the rest of the night.
That was my introduction to Joe Spivey. He can play most any instrument and all of them very well.
I asked him years later if he remembered that night, and he did. I asked him why he didn't tell me to put that guitar down a couple hours earlier, and he said he didn't want to hurt my feelings!!!
DonM