Quote:
"The arranger part of the Audya sounds much better than Yamaha or any other brands."

At the tune of six G notes it ought to sound better then the rest, right? Of course, along with that "much better sound" you also get an antiquated USB 1.1 to go along with it. Makes your day doesn't it?

Seriously, who me?? - the Ketron Audya, even though apparently lacking USB 2.0, won't be a deterrent for most people who may be considering the Audya because most people (that play arrangers anyway) don't usually delve into the "workstation" aspects of their arrangers. We already know that probably 80 percent or so of totl arranger players in this country and abroad are in their 40's and up. If you don't believe me just take a gander at the Pakefield keyboard festival in the U.K. and you will get a general consensus of who plays arrangers (in the U.K. anyway.. ). So I'm guessing Ketron probably understands the logistics of who tends to buy and continue to buy totl arrangers, which are mostly old fogies who could care less about the technical side of their totl "workstation" arranger keyboards. In seeing this trend, Ketron probably decided that USB 2.0 was NOT needed in the Audya because most people who purchased one would never take advantage of the higher data transfer rated USB 2.0 vs. measly USB 1.1. The cost associated with implementing USB 2.0 on the Audya vs. USB 1.1 is probably negligible, but why implement it at all if the majority of Audya owners will never take advantage of it anyway? The few who would take advantage of it doesn't factor into the equation for Ketron because they are looking at it from the "majority who won't" point of view. So Ketron saves a few bucks and everybody is happy except a few in the 'minority' who Ketron refuses to take into consideration at all apparently. And I say apparently because Ketron i.e. (AJ, Ted, and ketron HQ in Ancona Italy) are still staying as tight lipped as ever when anyone brings this topic up or mentions it at all.

You would think, though, that having forked over $6,000 + for a keyboard (including tax, VAT, etc.) that the Audya would include today's "standard" in USB interface technology, instead of an antiquated and obsolete one i.e. USB 1.1.

But like I said, most everybody is happy anyway (fat, dumb, and happy perhaps?? ) and as long as the Audya sounds superior to that of the competition and it has 76 keys and weighs under 40 lbs it should still sell fairly well (minus to one arranger keyboardist in So. Calif. ) - even at the exorbitant price Ketron is asking for it.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-21-2008).]