Jerry,

My secret to success when it comes to quick setups and tear-downs is my custom made console unit. It holds all of my power supplies, all of which remain plugged into an 8-plug surge protector which is also housed within the console. The console also contains my TC Helicon Harmony-M, footswitch for the TC, harnessed cables for all audio connections, mic cable, and all remain plugged into the appropriate connections. The console also is my laptop platform, lighted sign and has another light that lights the top of the keyboard. The console slips onto the top tier of my Quick-Lok, heavy-duty, 2-tier X-stand, while the keyboard fits on the lower level. The positions of the X-stand are marked with a dab of white-out, which allows me to locate the exact position every time without guessing where the arms should be positioned.

My cables from the keyboard to the Bose L1 are all contained within a single harness and cut to the exact length . I marked the key position of the remote control cable with a dab of white-out so there's no guesswork at either end, and pretty much eliminates any possibility of bending the connector's pins because the cable is not properly positioned.

My mic cable stays plugged into the TC at all times, and when not in use it is coiled loosely and held in place with a Velcro strip that stays on the cable. The L1's power and sub cable are kept in the base unit's bag, coiled loosely and held in place with a strip of Velcro that stays with the power cable.

Everything fits on the Rock & Roller cart, unloading and loading take about three minutes each and everything is held firmly in place on the cart because of the manner I place certain items.

I usually am able to roll the cart right to the spot where I'll be setting up. The only exception to this is when I'm performing on a raised stage that does not have access for the cart. When I encounter this type of situation I allow an extra 5 minutes setup time, which is usually more than enough.

The first thing off the cart is my folding Quick-Loc stoll, which sets up very quickly. Next, the fan, something many of us consider an absolute necessity. It is immediately plugged in, turned on high and faced upward to where I'll be setting up. The seat and fan take less than a minute to set up.

Next, the X-stand is off loaded, unfolded, and the top tier is locked in place. The stand itself is locked in position with the aid of a spring loaded pin--setup time less than 30 seconds.

Both towers are placed horizontally on the top arms of the X-stand and their cases are unzipped. Now the keyboard to L1 cables and power cable are removed from the base unit case, then the base unit is removed and placed a few feet to the right of the X-stand and about three feet to the rear. The next step is to insert both towers. Two minutes top for this part.

The keyboard is now removed from the case, placed on the X-stand and the keyboard's case remains open. The Console is then placed in the keyboard case, the bag unzipped and the console is them placed on the top tier. Maybe 20 seconds.

The laptop, mouse platform, mouse and USB cable is then removed from the laptop case, placed in the console and connected. This takes about 25 seconds. The laptop case also stays in the keyboard case at this time.

Next, the bag holding my other foot pedal, mic and L1's remote control is placed in the keyboard case, the contents are removed and plugged in. Maybe a minute at most to do this.

Now, the keyboard case, which contains all the other cases is closed. The sub woofer is then removed from its case and placed against the right foot of the X-stand. Another 20 seconds to plug in the remaining cables and the main switch of the surge protector is then turned on, followed by the L1, keyboard and finally the laptop. The TC does not have a power switch and is activated when the surge protector is turned on.

It takes about two minutes for the laptop to boot up, including the time taken to open the lyric folders, set up VanBasco and open Win-Amp. All of the L1's remote control settings are fairly static and take less than 10 seconds to set. The keyboard's settings are a single button push using the Setup Registration I created. This automatically sets the mic and pedal settings.

The only thing left to do is push the Rock & Roller to the side, press the mic's on button, do a quick one two, then you're into the first song.

It took two times longer to write this than it takes to set up the entire rig.

For those interested in how the console is constructed, you'll find it HERE by clicking on Projects, then click on Laptop Platform.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)