Donny, I can't believe you're now preaching my old message. That's why I have never used an arranger on a gig....EVER. I have played with a drum machine (80's, early 90's) but mostly with live musicians. Which brings me to my next point.

Do the drums sound great? Absolutely, but compared to what? Even the better loops, patterns and kit voices, those with great dynamics ("live feel"), pale in comparison to a (good) live drummer. The reason, I think, is the instant change in dynamics that a real drummer gives you in response to what you're playing, or what the song calls for in that particular spot; in other words, musicianship.

Yeah, I know all the arguments about late-for-rehearsal/gig, losing time, showing up loaded/stoned, having to get his drum set out of the pawn shop for the third time this month, stupid, unwashed, constantly hitting on the singer, etc., etc. BUT, the second he makes the first hit on his acoustic set, you instantly know it's a live drummer up there. Not only will YOU know it, so will the audience. SOOOO, the question is? How much am I willing to pay for a KB 'cause it's got 'great sounding drums'? Hard to say. If I were doing OMB, maybe a lot, otherwise, not so much. In the studio, I'd rather have an electronic kit (or controller kit) because of space limitations, noise control, midi editing, flexibility (different kits), etc.

Other than the drums, I like the usual suspects for solo voices (and comping, if in the studio, especially guitar); piano, guitar, El. Piano, brass. Sax is hard for me. Even with the good-sounding SA Sax (I have a T2), I have a really difficult time getting it to sound as good as the demo would have you believe. In fact, I have a SonicCell, Fantom G, Triton, Motif ES, PA1x, and some softsynths, and none of the saxes really works for me. It's probably me .

Okay, enough. Just trying to put the importance of drums on an arranger in perspective (I think I still prefer the Korgs).

chas