Personally, I would say the best recommendation one can make is a keyboard they have actually spent some time with.

I would not recommend a Korg because I have not played one, and although it may or may not have just what Dave is looking for, I feel that a person who has spent some quality time with one is better informed to suggest it's use than I.

I spent only a week on a Roland G70 (not enough time to really get to know it), and an afternoon on E-80/60/50 so these instruments I can't really recommend wholeheartedly, but they were very good.

If you have not had sufficient time on an S900 or Tyros2/3 then all you are recommending is specifications, and not real world experience.

I've used both the T2/3 and S900 extensively, so I feel qualified to recommend from lengthy experience, and not just quote hearsay or what I've read here on SZ or elsewhere.

I believe that's what Dave is looking for, an honest but educated opinion, and since cost seems to be a big factor, a second hand Tyros2 or S900 would be best, and although the screen on the latter is not huge, but it is a color screen and reasonably easy to read.

I can also say, from my own experience, that there is a wealth of 3rd party styles and also some cool and useful software available for Yamaha...all free of charge, so very important if cost is a factor.

There is no substitute for hands on experience when recommending any product.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-01-2008).]