Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
All the current games consoles are good and each has its own strengths. It is not a matter of better or worse just more what your requirements are.

1) Nintendo Wii
Strengths - Cheap. Unique controller that is well supported by games that are exclusive to the Wii. Free online service.

Weaknesses - Has less graphic capability and CPU horsepower than its competitors. No DVD playback

2) Xbox 360
Strengths - The core system has now got pretty cheap. Good graphic and CPU power. Xbox Live is an excellent online service.

Weaknesses - Earlier models seemed to have a high rate of hardware failure. Subscription must be purchased for online connection through Xbox Live.

3) Sony PS3
Strengths - Blue Ray disk player. Good graphic and CPU power for games that have been optimized for PS3 hardware. Free online service for online gameplay. Has motion sensor controllers but not as accurate for control as the Wii controller which is optical rather than motion sensitive.

Weaknesses - Sony At Home online community isn't as mature as Xbox Live but it is getting better. It is the most expensive console available.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-23-2008).]

That sums it up quite well. We were going to get the Wii, but been holding off on Blue Ray. One day I was browsing to see if they still build the MDR 7506 headphones (had my old ones for 20 years) stumbled on the Playstation and was amazed at the features other then gaming. I had an old iRiver H-100 attached to our home system for MP3 Playback and the PS eliminating that as I put all those on the PS3 as well as some vids and and pics,

A stand alone Blue Ray Player is still around $300 so for $100 more we got a pretty good Media station which plays media from WinAmp remote and a pretty good gaming machine. (Although Madden is the only game I care about). The browsers is a nice to have but I have a notebook on the end table.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA