Well yeah, that reminds me about something else important: feedback & PA placement.

So here's the deal.

Bose "officially" recommend placing the L1 about 6-8 feet (optimally) BEHIND you, so you can hear what the audience hears - fair enough - well I don't know about you, but many of the places we play, the stage is NOT deep enough for that (some are, and sound is DIVINE there for us)

BUT

many stages simply don't accommodate this. Incidentally we don't have too much feedback problems with the Model 2 (it has a wider dispersion, articulated drivers, and is even MORE resistant to feedback than the Model 1) we have had problems if we're too close to the system (around 5 feet or less) and too loud - feedback problems DO EXIST with the Bose, probably less than with conventional systems but they do happen. I suspect what that guy was telling you was a mixture of the truth and maybe also trying to steer you away to more "profitable" systems - dunno...

So where does this leave us?

Well we just set up the L1 wherever we can.
We have it:

a) Slightly in front, in between us on stage.
b) Off to one side, anywhere from 3 feet to 10 feet offstage, (behind, in line, or in front of us).
c) Behind us (as recommended) from 4-5 feet (not too good) to 7-9 feet (great).

The good news is, wherever we put it, we hear everything (especially vocals) quite clearly!

The Bad news (kinda) is that when you put it behind YOU, it is indeed optimal as you hear almost EXACTLY what the audience hears. When YOU are Behind the L1, the sound is still good (no monitors needed believe me) but things, naturally enough, are not quite as the audience hears, but I'm really only reminded of that when we play those stages that allow us to do the "official placement" thing.

Is that clear enough?

[This message has been edited by hellboy44 (edited 11-04-2008).]

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au