Hi again Steve,
Just thought I would expand a little on the process involved, JUST in case!!

It's a "live" function I am talking about, in which you don't actually modify the midi at all.. Simply load up the song, set the transpose you want and then save it as a songbook entry.
The transpose gets saved along with all the other settings and is recalled everytime the song is loaded.
Whether the midi/keyboard is affected by the songbook transpose entry is determined by having the Global setting - General Controls - Lock - Master Transpose lock set to off (it is set to on as the default setting).

Also ensure that the Global - Transp Ctrl - "Transpose applies to Style and Kbd Tracks" is set to real-time. This will then mean the "live" playing will match the transposed MIDI file. (This is set to realtime by default, but it is worth checking anyway).

Now the thing to remember with MIDIS is that there is a limit to how far you can transpose without the instruments going either out of ther natural range, or the song just sounding terrible.
As my personal "rule of thumb" on MIDI tranpsoition, if you need more than 3 semi-tones of transpose then my recommendation is to properly edit tracks in a sequencer to re-adjust individual note ranges.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Dennis

PS I have used the transpose function when playing live, but only when I have had a cold or similar, and needed a bit of pitch relief for the voice.

Any other "permanent" key adjustments I make using a sequencer, especially if outside that 3 semi buffer.. Mind you some midis can be transposed up/down by a range of up to 4 or 5 semitones, it just depends on the original key.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-23-2008).]