I do desaggree, you must to keep in mind that the NAMM show is a musical product Music for Dealers, Malcoml demo how easy is to make from a SIMPLE chord progression a full backup orchestrated and not just that, after it was done, he went a change one of the chords and also change the style that gave to the original chord progression a total different feel. This type of demo is to show what the this particular product can do in few minutes Using the features to make music that it has, and is greatly appreciate by users/customers that can not be very precise in their playing in real time, and or if you have a Band in the Box user, this particular feature IS the Band in the Box in hardware, this type of demo is not intended to be like the performers I mention next.
You probably expected to see a Performance like I also enjoy with someone like Hector Olivera (Roland Atalier) or Michel Voncken from Yamaha, etc.
I have been going to NAMM shows since 1980 and I also had Demo products for several manufacturers and have done both Demo types, one is more like a "Clinic/Seminar" more technical ( What you saw) and the other is more a Performance "Showcase" more musical and allows you to be "Flashy", personal skill combine with the sounds/features of the instrument.
Just MY opinion and Experience in both sides of the fence.