Quote:
What kind of music are you into Paul ?

I am playing in a church worship band. The songs are played in various styles, Rock, Ballad, R&B, Reggae etc.

I am usually the second keyboard adding pads, strings, organ, synth sounds etc. here and there.

I am fine if I have worked out a part beforehand, which I mostly do from the chords and using the music theory I have learnt.

My problem comes when a more spontaneous response is needed or perhaps playing a lead sound that harmonizes with the melody. I want to be able to hear something in my head and play it, I just don't seem to be able to grasp this yet. I seem to be pretty much at the stage which is refered to in the article I referred to above (including having a bookshelf full of books and DVD's). I also struggle to hear the chords, if we do an instrumental section which is picking up a chord progression from the song.

I appreciate that there are no shortcuts but I have been perservering for a while now with some relative pitch ear training tutors but my ears just don't seem to get it. I am thinking a different approach might be the answer. This course seems to take the 'solfege' approach which I haven't tried.

Paul.