First you find an itch... then you scratch it.

Generally, those who investigate and delve deeply into their arrangers are those trying to squeeze the most depth and expression out of their playing. If you are as satisfied as many make out with their 'favorites', there is perhaps less incentive to get down and dirty and mess with the finer points of style and sound editing.

I find a willingness to admit that there MIGHT be things that could be improved is the best way to work yourself towards improving them. Once you arrive at that place, the rest is usually just sheer doggedness and determination. It's amazing what you can do with patience and the manual!

The biggest mistake I see is players trying to bite off more than they can chew. Rather than try to grok a concept by attempting an entire piece of music, breaking it down into small steps, and only doing little 8 bar exercises speeds up the learning process. Want to make your own styles? Start by learning how to edit existing styles, perhaps by as simple process as combining existing styles first, then replacing just ONE Part, rather than choke at the start by trying to create an entire style from scratch.

Ditto sound creation, ditto sequence creation....

Baby steps get you there, giant leaps usually lead to crash and burn. Focus on just ONE task at a time, and don't stop until you have it firmly grasped. Then the next, etc., etc..

Keep at it, and it WILL get easier. I promise