Hi AJ,
I think I may have mentioned it before,
I'm actually going thru the process of pulling some of the gm/gs soundfonts apart.
Virtually putting together a patch library like we used to have with the synths.

Surprising what I'm finding. Whoever's put them together has used a mix of good & not so good fonts. I'm guessing they've chosen large samples for instruments that they use a lot, and fairly poor ones, probably just to fill up the gm bank. Suppose it's not worth having a 5mb bagpipe, if it's just chewing up space.

The largest font I've tried to load into my 512mb laptop using forte/livesynth pro
is 300mb. It struggles with that.
If I actually use the audigy nx 2 card, the largest font I can load is 145 mb's.
I'm looking at maybe expanding my memory.
Meanwhile my ideal font is probably going to have to be about 140mbs max.
I'll have to probably focus on some main instruments like drums , bass, piano , guitar, strings etc.

Personally I don't think I'd have the capability of starting from scratch ie sampling. Maybe converting wav files into fonts , might be an option, or from some other format.

I haven't had any problems with program & bank changes.

Personally, the fonts may be a bit long in the tooth, but I like the flexibility of them. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything else quite like them?

I really think we should differentiate between, what can be used for styles, ie soundfonts, hypercanvas ??

and what can be used for lead/melody voices, as obviously there is a far greater choice of software available for lead voices.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022