Spalding, while I applaud your quest for forum nirvana, in real life it's not going to happen. Haven't the years proven that to you yet? That's not to say there's no place for mutual respect, but your advice sounds more suited to a group of 7 year olds at summer camp, where the need to bolster an awkward kid's self-esteem overides his ability to hit or catch a ball.

But we are NOT kids. Perhaps things are different in the UK, but here in America, if Roseanne Barr chooses to sing the National Anthem at a ballgame on national TV, she's going to hear about it; if Miss Teen South Carolina sounds like an idiot in front of a national audience, she's going to hear about it. We critisize our President when he does a lousy job; heck, in Philly, we've been known to boo Santa Claus. May sound cruel but it may keep a few guys like Rory's karaoke singer from slipping through the cracks.

Do you think it will improve the forum if you threaten to leave every time someone posts something you don't agree with? What about the fact that at least half of the responders DID agree? Don't their opinions count?

My original post didn't name names. I merely posed the question, "if a performance is bad, should we lie about it or tell the truth". I admit that is was prompted by the negative responses to some other member's negative critique of a performance. As to your following statement, in my opinion, it just ain't so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
Most of the demos on this forum are done to illustrate an aspect of the instrument that we play and not to show off our performance skills or talent.

I don't think anybody believes that.

Peace, I really hope you don't leave on my account 'cause I (and many others) am always going to have an opinion and it may not always be in lockstep with yours.

chas