In the past, copyright holders have shut down sites without warning. If I remember right, they had the computers of a lyrics server confiscated. In this case, Yamaha is giving us time to download all existing styles before removing them from the web.

Clearly Yamaha invests time and money in creating and compiling styles. Even a phone book can be copyrighted, so no matter how derivative Yamaha styles are, they "might" be copyrightable. Certainly, 3rd parties who make and sell custom styles would support the copyrightability of styles in general.

Posting Yamaha styles on a Yahoo site means that Yahoo is making money (in advertising revenue) off of Yamaha styles, while Yamaha makes nothing. I don't think this is fair.

I think a good solution would be to redirect the energy now spent on a losing cause toward urging Yamaha to post on its own site styles of discontinued models. This would be in everyone's interest. Yamaha would get more site traffic and good will, while customers would be able to transfer their favorite styles to their new Yamaha keyboards.