I've been hearing more and more that local businesses (including music stores) are losing substantial business because people are increasingly turning to the internet for their purchases. The attraction of volume internet retailers, is that they typically offer steep discounts. Another reason people are turning to internet & mail order sales, especially for big ticket items like arranger keyboards, is that internet retailers typically don't collect state/local sales tax, if you live out of their state. This can really amount to a hefty sum of money (hundreds of dollars) especially if your local state sales tax is over 8%, and the item costs $2,000 and up.

It appears now that no matter how much personalized service & attention a local dealer might provide, the substantial cost savings offered by a large internet dealer is becoming increasingly more appealing as the economy has us all watching our pocketbooks more closely. In the meantime, many of the large online dealers have quickly gained our respect as dealers we can trust, many offering generous refund/exchange polices that local dealers can't match. Some internet dealers even provide free after-market telephone/email support and warranty service referal.In addition, with the internet onslaught of message board forums and online chat rooms, just about any question or problem you encounter with your product now has a dedicated forum devoted just to it. Because of this, you might even get a response & solution quicker than the local dealer can.

Ok, so exactly what do you gain if you purchase from a local dealer? The only thing I can think of at the moment, is the sense of 'moral responsibility' of contributing to help keep local business' afloat. Even if this were the only reason, this is still a very IMPORTANT reason to consider.

My intent of this thread is NOT to insult or de-value small local dealers in any way, but merely an observation of what appears to be a revolutionary consumer purchasing shift which has taken place in just a few short years both in the USA and around the world. For better or worse, it is changing the way we do business.

I'm really interested to hear other people's thoughts & views on this subject.

- Scott