Dreamer,

Thanks very much for your advice. I remember someone telling me to do that the last time I attempted this...before our house move, months ago. I never got a chance to try it! I will certainly have a go because anything that works is fine by me!

Chony,

Wow, you really came through for me! This version of Cubase - SX 3.0, didn't come with hardly any devices. I still have my old VST and SX 1.0 disks though, so should be able to track down that script for the 9000 pro!

I've been a registered Cubase user for a few years now, and just upgraded from SX 1 to SX 3. It's quite steep learning curve, which is part of my problem I'm sure!

Yes, before trying 16 separate midi tracks set to different channels (1-16), I tried just setting one midi track to 'any'. I got all the instruments stacked on top of each other with that too!

Yes, I realise Cubase doesn't know what sounds I want to use. At this point I'd just be happy as long as I could record ONE sound per MIDI track!

This was soooo easy on my Yamaha CS6x synth. I just went into 'performance' mode, setup a new 16 channel performance with whatever sounds I wanted on each channel. When I armed a track in Cubase ONLY the corresponding sound set to that channel played, which is what you'd expect!

I'm connected with MIDI via my USB Midisport 4x4 interface.

Thanks to both of you for your time! I will certainly try all of your ideas and get back with you!

Carrie