Nice voice, almost a Travis Trit sound. I liked the harmonies as well. As was so tactfully put above me, the song needs much work, which you also acknowledge in the initial post. Some ideas:
I think each 4th line needs a different melody. What if you start that 4th line while you're on the C chord and end it by the time you hit G. (Capo 1st fret?) So that the 3rd and 4th lines almost become a single thought, rather than waiting until you hit the G chord and then start singing as you do on the previous 3 lines.
Also, I'm not entirely sure of the point of the song; a girl has a child at a very young age, then you describe the rest of her life, and finally she marries a colored man? Then what? Unless I missed the gist, (hey, there's another rhyme). People still getting used to not being segregated? The song just sort of trails off to me. I listened to it just once so I definitely might have missed something.

You have a lot of verses here. What if you took a couple of those lines and made it a bridge. I know you're still working on a chorus, and a bridge might help, especially since you seem to have enough lyrics and it might make more sonic interest rather than verse upon verse.
Anyway, there's some rough sketched thoughts for you to chew on.
Best,
Rory