The Yamaha can use 8 Samples to make up one sound, (and many do) and so, effectively, a two handed jazz chord for example that uses 8 samples, and with just two layers, would take up 128 notes (you have only 126 notes on the Yamaha) - if two hands were playing 4 notes - c6 chord for example (CEGA)

The polyphony on the Yamaha is very deceiving, and claims 126-note polyphony. Well - that's true in a sense, but the fact that you need 8 samples per note to make a full sound can leave you coming unstuck. It has been said that a Yamaha with 4 samples per note (like my kn6000) will not sound as good, and so needs these extra samples to make the full sound up.

It is for this reason, that I didn't make the change to a Yamaha 9000 from a kn6000, as Polyphony was important to me. I will add a sound module soon to make that "Polyphony" up - which one though - I don't know. I was going for a JV1080 - but it is getting towards 5 years old now, (about March 96 it was released I think) and I know it probably still sounds great, but with the new XV3080/5080 now out, it would be wise for me to save up a little more money, and go for one of those instead.

I think Cliff meant "Samples" and not layers, or maybe the Yamaha pro does only do "4" samples per note.

It's worth noting that I've never "seemed" to run out of polyphony on the 64-voice kn6000. (Which "Only" does 4 samples per note) Maybe when I'm playing away, the odd drum hi-hat, etc drops out, but if I can't notice it, my 10,000 screaming fans won't neither!)

Jupiter5

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 01-10-2001).]