Dave, thanks for your very interesting information. We can all learn a lot from you, and you are good to listen to our gripes and wishes. Thought I'd better chime in!
As I have grown older and the years of lifting equipment every night have taken their toll on my back, light weight is totally essential to me.
So essential that I don't even consider the Korg, Roland or GEM because I know I won't be happy dealing with them every day. Fortunately there are excellent light-weight alternatives, certainly good enough to get the job done.
If I were sitting in the same place every night, not having to move gear, my list of possible keyboards might be different. Since this is not the case, I've been led out of necessity to consider Yamaha, Ketron and even Casio (well it's not there yet, but they seem to be heading the right direction). Actually the Korg PA80 was the right weight, but had too many shortcomings for my way of using it.
I'm now using a Ketron Midjay with a controller--two pieces with a total weight of less than 20 pounds. On the plus side, it just happens to sound great and have multiple functions (MP3, Midi files, WAV, Sound effects, Hard Disk Recorder, good mic processing, lyrics display, etc.) Are there drawbacks, certainly, but not enough to offset the total package benefits. It has replaced my arranger, laptop and mixer. Now the heaviest thing I have to move is the Bose PAS, and it's heaviest component is around 30 pounds.
My point is that there are varying criteria for each of us in selecting an arranger. You graciously offered to send a GEM to me with full return privilige some months ago, and I really appreciated the offer. My primary reason for declining was the weight. O.K. the other reason was that I really needed to sell the current gear before changing, and I was afraid to do that.
I've even compromised somewhat by going back to a 61-note controller, even though Charles said on another post that only those that can't play very well can live with that. I may change again to a 76-note controller after I've given this a real chance.
I made a living for many years with only 61 keys, so I know it can work. Still . . .
Anyway, this is just another point of view. I sincerely hope to be a GEM user one of these days. Just make something I can tote around in one hand.
DonM