Bill is right on the money when it comes to getting screwed in sales--everyone that has ever been in that business, including myself, will tell you the same thing--you're gonna' get screwed continuously.

I've been self employed since 1975, and at this stage in life, I wouldn't change many of the things I've done.

First and foremost, you must have a lot of self discipline. Without this, you will not make it in the world of self employment.

Additionally, you must be very organized. You must be able to take control of all of your finances, balance your own checkbook, take care of billing, answer the phone, do the secretarial work, everything associated with the business. If you cannot do one of these things, you're essentially out of business.

You must hava a specific plan, one that allows you to put together a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly program of doing business. You must set goals for those time frames, and keep in mind that there is no such thing as an 8-hour day for those of us who are self employed. Every minute that you are relaxing, daydreaming, and watching thw world go by, you are loosing money.

I pay my own insurance bills, utility bills, and every expense associated with the business out of a special checking account that is for the business only. It's important to keep track of every, single expense, no matter how trivial you think it may be--they all add up, and they all subtract from your income. A basic rule of thumb is if you have to use a pay toilet while working, write that amount down on your calendar--it's a business expense. At the end of the year, all of those insignificant expenditures will amount to a lot of money, money that is subtracted from your gross income, many that if you don't keep records of, will be taxed.

In my case, as a freelance writer and musician, my commuting distance to the office each morning is just 45 feet. No traffic jam other than getting past the cat who wants to be fed before she goes outside to kill mice and chipmunks. There are lots of days when I don't have to leave the office in order to bring in a paycheck. Those days the dress code is shorts, tee shirt and sandals. On the days when music is the job, the dress code is obviously much more formal.

Finally, set up a retirement program. You may not be thinking about retirement at this stage of life--no one does. But, there will come a time when you physically will not be able to handle the rigors of self employment, Then that time comes, and believe me it will come, you must be ready financially. In order to do this each week's operating budget must have a segment set aside for this purpose. It may not seem possible early on, but it must be done. This is your nest egg, a fund that will keep you going when the body or mind, or both, give out.

Good Luck, and I sincerely hope everything comes your way.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)