Mo,

You can use a mixer with the Logitech Z-5500, and some performers on this forum are using the Alesis 6FX, which sells for about $99 online.

In my case, I rarely use a mixer, and everything is fired directly through the keyboard.

As for the number of speakers used, you must use all 6 (5 satellites + sub) to get the desired results. The center speaker boosts the mid range sounds, while the pair of fronts and rears provide crisp highs and some high-end mid sounds. The sub is outstanding and rally must be turned down to about 25 percent or it becomes overpowering. It's a great system for smaller venues with audieces to 125. It's 500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak and the vast majority of the individuals that have tried this system raved about the results.

There have been one or two individuals that complained about the mid range sounds, therefore, if you are considering purchasing the Z-5500 I suggest buying from an outlet that has a liberal return policy with no penalties. Then, if you don't like what you hear, take it back for a full refund.

The same is true with the Bose L1. Bose has an excellent, 45-day, no questions asked, return policy. This is one of the features that prompted me to take the plunge. Obviously, the L1 didn't go back to Bose--I love it!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)