Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
They're mainly interested in Thursday evenings and want "upscale, jazz inspired instrumental music."

Unless your playing in a dedicated bar section of a restaurant, I suspect what they're looking for is 'background' music w/o singing, unless they're soft airy vocal numbers. I've found restaurant 'dining only' gig venues reserved for background wallpaper music .

Does the restaurant have a house acoustic piano or will you be utilizing the Tyros? I've found including solo piano (requiring a kb with at least 76 keys) an important element for this type of gig, especially on jazz ballads (Misty, My Funny Valentine, etc). To satisfy the 'upscale jazz' mood requirement, when playing in auto accomp mode, be sure to keep the auto accomp parts to a minimum: acoustic bass & drums only.

Songs with loud dynamics & heavy orchestration (Latin Samba, Big Band, etc) should be reserved for later in the evening (last hour), but the key to your success is being able to gage the restaurant staff & customers musical mood requirement of the moment.

Quote:

I asked for and have gotten $100 plus tips plus dinner for 3 hours of work. 6:00pm-9:00pm is the likely time frame.

Not much money (and FAR below minimum for my area), especially if you're required to supply & haul your own equipment in/out as well, but I suppose it could be worth it to you for the experience & free meals, and are able to reap at least the same amount in tips.

Quote:

I might even consider using some high quality MIDI files to play over a few times throughout the evening. (I usually only play over styles...full kb mode on my Tyros.

Sure, whatever works, but if this restuarant is attempting to tout themselves as some kind of upscale acoustic jazz restaurant, stay away from commercial generic cover tune midi files that scream karoake backing tracks. That's the kiss of death especially if upscale jazz is the code word. If you must use midi backing tracks . . . . record your own instead. Frankly, though I've used midi files in the past, I find auto accomp music sounds a lot more geniunely LIVE when performed in auto accomp mode.

Quote:
Do you suggest setting up a mic for introducing myself, announcements, saying good-night-seems to only make sense.

How large is the restaurant? If your primary function is instrumental background mood music then a microphone is not needed or recommended. Exactly where are you going to be setting up? I think you need to discuss with the management exactly what they want. What are the other music acts booked for other nights? I suggest popping in then to see what type of set up they utilize. In my own experience playing restuarant venues of a similar nature, I reserve vocals for later in the evening, but of course, you need to determine each situation & night differently.

Quote:

I have the Tyros satellite speakers that are available from Yamaha. I usually only use them for rehearsal and some VERY small gigs. Is anyone finding these to be adequate for a small to medium size room?.

For background mood music in a small restaurant, this should surfice, but for mid-range presence (which includes vocals) I take a more tradition small PA system. I have the Tyros Satellite + subwoofer as well, but for small-med venues I utilize my Motion Sound KB100.

Quote:

If not, I'll be using my EV 15" and my Behringer PMH2000 500watt 10 channel box mixer.

Hmmm. Definitely nice sounding, but not worth the trouble to haul imho, especially for what they're paying you. Just my opinion.

Bill, whatever you decide, this sounds like a good opportunity to pick up restaurant gigging skills, as well as the opportunity for more exposure and possible other private gig booking opportunities.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Scott