Quote:
bottom line is that arranger functions are minimal and simplistic, and I suspect that the 32-voice polyphony gets eaten pretty quickly if you try to play any serious piano over the accompaniment. I played around with the arranger section a little and it's very basic... a little too basic IMHO. There are better arrangers available easily.

I have a Privia PX400r which I believe is the one model release back. I agree totally with your comments as well as though those by Dennis and Fran. I originally had my training in piano and I like the action of the Privia . I used it on 3 gigs using the arranger features, you're right they are too simplistic. After the 3rd gig I purchased a PSR 3K. Depending on the gig i.e. if folks are requesting background piano solo I used the Privia as a controller and for the 3k. For the money I paid $799. it's a good value.

Quote:
I had a chance to play the new PX-555 yesterday and I was simply blown away by it.

Jim, have you played the 400, I'd be curious to hear whether you found any significant differences between the 400 and the 555. I suspect the new triple layer ZPI stereo piano makes a difference.